VPS Vs Cloud Vs Dedicated Hosting
Your hosting provider plays a major part in your website’s availability! So, how do you choose a hosting service? With many hosting types available, how can you find which one best suits your needs?
Is it good to have a VPS hosting or a Cloud Hosting? What is the difference between the two? Or can I go for Dedicated server hosting? Seems like dedicated hosting is really expensive!!
To save you from these doubts, we are here to compare VPS vs Cloud vs Dedicated hosting services.
Let’s have a look at what each hosting does along with their pros and cons!
What is VPS Hosting?
VPS stands for Virtual Private Server. In VPS hosting, you can have your own space in a physical server that has multiple virtual partitions. To clarify, there can be many users sharing the same physical server. But, each user hosts their website in their respective virtual space.
Most importantly, there is no need for sharing resources like bandwidth, storage with other users, as in shared hosting.
One way to think of VPS is living in a condominium! You share a building with other occupants with exclusive access to basic needs. For example, you can customize your living space, have a private laundry and storage for your own use.
Why use VPS Hosting:
- You have complete control over the server. That means you can install software, add users and modify server settings.
- Then, having your website in a cloud, makes it scalable and reliable as well.
- It is the best choice for small and medium-size business, that expects a certain growth in the future.
- Also, your environment is completely secure from the other virtual partitions.
- You pay for how much resources you use. That is to say, you can upgrade or downgrade your account any time, based on your website’s performance.
Cons of VPS Hosting:
- If a virtual space crashes because of unforeseen issues, the entire website becomes unavailable.
- Moreover, VPS hosting is quite expensive than shared hosting.
- If your website is for the informational purpose expecting fewer visitors per day, VPS is not a suitable option.
What is Dedicated Server Hosting?
In this hosting type, you can lease an exclusive amount of server space you need, for your website. You can enjoy the full use of server space, bandwidth and other resources for your own good. Also, you can control and customize the software and other computing needs as per your preference.
In other words, it is similar to owning a big family home for yourself, instead of an apartment or condominium.
Why Choose a Dedicated Server:
- This hosting is best for large and complex websites with higher traffic.
- Also, the website will be stable and reliable, as it does not share any resources with other websites.
- Most importantly, you will have a unique IP address. This is important when it comes to hosting e-commerce applications, as it involves credit card processing.
Cons of Dedicated Hosting:
- This hosting is expensive as in comparison with other VPS and Shared hosting.
- Though you can customize software and user access in the server, you cannot as such modify the server settings as per your preference.
- Not good for users who are not familiar with managing server operations.
As you are familiar with VPS and Dedicated server hosting, let’s have a look at Cloud Hosting as well.
What is Cloud Hosting & How does it work?
This is one of the most popular hosting methods, followed by web users. It is a process where you can host your website on a server that resides on a cloud. The resources for computing purposes is available from a network of physical web servers.
Cloud hosting provides a scalable, secure and a private hosting environment, making your website availability a top priority!
Benefits of Cloud Hosting:
- To start with, your website will be reliable. That means when a server is down, the resources for your website is accessible from the next physical server available.
- In terms of scalability, your website can balance the traffic with no limitations for the resources.
- In addition, the physical servers are in a secured data center. Thus, your data is safe and private.
- Most importantly, you pay only for the resources you use, making the hosting process cost-effective.
- It is the best option for medium and large business, that expects growth in the long term.
Cons of Cloud Hosting:
- As Cloud hosting is internet-based, there is always a threat for possible downtime. Hence, it is up to the user/ organization to have effective disaster recovery options in place.
- Since every component is online, there is a higher chance of attack. It is really important to maintain security at all possible levels.
- In addition, users do not have much control over the server settings as in comparison with other hosting services.
- It is an expensive option for a long term basis.
VPS vs Cloud vs Dedicated hosting, which is best for you?
As we have seen, the hosting service you choose entirely depends on your website needs.
In case you are looking for a cost-effective service, VPS hosting is a better bet as compared to its contemporaries. Also, when it comes to scalability, Cloud hosting is a good choice for a website. If you are a large organization with e-commerce features, Dedicated server is your go-to option!